Tuesday 21 May 2013

Old Codger slays The Beast

When Simon first sent us the route for the Tour several months ago, he referred to the first hill on Day Two as "a beast" and the elevation profile confirmed that. At breakfast this morning, I therefore confessed to the team that I was quite apprehensive about what lay ahead for the day.

The hill started about 10 km into the ride and rose about 800 metres in elevation as the road wound its way over the following 10 km. You'll see from the photo that at times some of the team took to going back and forth across the width of the road to take the edge of the steepness.

I am enormously pleased and relieved to say that I managed to cycle all the way up without needing to resort to the weaving; just getting settled into a rhythm and grinding away. It was by no means easy but it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Who was it that said "the greatest fear is fear itself"?   I'd like to thank a few folks for this:

- Steve Fox who has worn me out in multiple spinning classes, given me advice on the best climbing techniques and pushed me harder than I would have myself on a local bike ride.

- The POTS Wednesday morning cycling group who have encouraged me over recent months as we rode together.

- Mud Dock bike shop in Bristol, not only for supplying my bike but also for managing to give me an extra bottom gear just before I left for Burundi.

- All those who have been praying for me for today and to two in particular who in their different ways reminded me that Jesus is ahead of me to guide me, behind me to protect me and beside me to strengthen and encourage me.

- Last but certainly not least, Jesus himself for delivering on that promise.

So it's been a great day for me and I'm very happy to be in Rutana with both the longest mileage day (yesterday) and the biggest hill behind us. There's still lots of hard work ahead but it is so encouraging.

However, it's not been a great day for two others. Simon wisely decided not to ride today so travelled in the support bus. Dean is from Alberta, Canada and started the day with a sore knee but it was better if he stood up to ride so he did that. It was a phenomenal display of strength and courage and he made it all the way up the big hill but eventually the pain got too much and he had to get into the bus as well. Two disappointed men so please pray for them that they will be able to join in again later.

Must go now, dinner beckons and I'm hungry!

Thanks a million for your support. Please keep it up.

Paul

1 comment:

  1. IMPRESSIVE - Well done Paul - keep focussed - eyes fixed on Jesus - not the road - or maybe both on second thoughts ..... LOL God Bless John

    ReplyDelete