Thursday 23 May 2013

Finding Nemo



95 km today from Gitega to Muyinga, where we are now staying in a very nice, albeit simple, Catholic auberge.

I have to confess I got tired today. It was a fabulous undulating road with great scenery (again) but the downhill runs had to be paid for by facing the next uphill. As each uphill came, I just got into a gear where I could keep pedalling at about 70 rpm and ground it out. I was reminded of a reference to the film Finding Nemo by one of my kind sponsors and found myself saying "keep on spinning, keep on spinning".  Perhaps not quite as spiritual as Day 2 but it got me here!

Whenever we stop it draws a crowd and these photos are a couple of examples. There are still plenty of people who have never seen a musungu up close, perhaps just in a passing car, if that. Simon speaks fluent Kirundi and so we are able to enter into conversation with them in a way that would be impossible without him.
Both Simon and Dean coped well with today's ride so hopefully that will continue.

Here we are on our fancy lightweight bikes and cycling clothes but on one downhill stretch today we found ourselves overtaken by one local flying down on his heavy Chinese bike transporting a massive load on the back. I do wish I could have got a photo of that!

Bye for now and thanks again.

Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment